Thursday 26 June 2014

Oulton Park 20th-21st June 2014

Photo: Bikesport Photography
The team and I had a fantastic round at Cadwell Park back in May, coming home with three GP1 wins. However, trying to repeat this success at Oulton seemed quite daunting!! I haven’t ridden this track a lot on a 1000 and didn’t have much luck with it in 2012, so it’s not up there with my favourite tracks. As always, being a two-day meeting made it even more challenging.



After three good practice sessions on Friday, we went out for qualifying. I was slowly getting used to the track and learning how to ride it with all the challenging crests and undulations – something I find a real handful on the ZX10. I got a couple of clear laps early on in the session and ended up qualifying 5th with a time of 1.41.9. Despite not being on the front row, I was really pleased with my position. I had gone round the track faster than I had ever been before and I knew where I could improve and go a lot quicker.

There was a delay for the first race when we were due to go on track, so we had two warm-up laps and the race was cut back to seven laps. I got a dreadful start and got boxed in going into turn one, which dropped me back to 9th position. By lap four, I had climbed up to 5th and was chasing Teasdale. As soon as I got onto the back of him, he ran the slip road at Hizzy’s chicane and I was promoted up to 4th. The leading trio were a good four seconds ahead so I settled for 4th. I managed to do a 1.40.1, which I was extremely happy with and confident that I could still go faster.

Photo: Glyn Richardson
I was determined to make up for the bad start I had in race one, so I got a belting start for race two. I was in 2nd going into Old Hall and Gav Hunt shot underneath me going into Cascades. I tried my hardest to hang onto them and James East was showing his front wheel everywhere. I just couldn’t get the same drive as they could out of the corners on the gearing I was on. On lap three, East passed me on the run into Hizzy’s. I was trying a bit too hard and ran deep into Old Hall, losing the tow. So, I settled for 4th again and managed to keep a gap between me and Teasdale, who was in 5th. I didn’t better my lap time in that race, which I was disappointed with but I know that with a gearing change, we could’ve gone a lot faster.

All in all, it was a good meeting and I learnt a hell of a lot. I bettered my previous lap time from 2012 by 3.2 seconds, which I am really happy with. A huge thanks to all of my team for the effort they put in, all of my sponsors which keep me racing, Louise for looking after me and doing my pit board and my mum and dad.


Roll on Rockingham!

No comments:

Post a Comment