Thursday 26 June 2014

Cadwell Park 24th-26th May 2014

Photo: The Bike Insurer
A bit of a late entry, as I went away straight after this round. However, it has been my best result to date and I had to share what went on.

The qualifying session didn’t quite go to plan and I ended up 3rd on the grid behind Dean Hipwell and Barry Teasdale. Hipwell didn’t make it for race one, so it was just me and Teasdale on the front row. On lap three of twelve, my clutch started to slip so I was struggling to keep up on the straights. With three laps to go, a back marker held Teasdale up so I passed him going out of Barn. Going into Park, I broke as late as I could but Teasdale still tried the move to out-brake me. He ended up on the grass, giving me a five-second lead. This allowed me to cruise home for my first ever GP1 win.

Photo: Bryant Photography
Following my win in the first race, I got promoted to pole due to the mega laps system. I got a really good start but was hounded by Teasdale and Hipwell for the first half of the race. I tried that little bit more to try to break away from them and ended-up with a two-second lead, which I held for the rest of the race. I was extremely happy with winning my second GP1 race and also broke the lap record by half a second, achieving a 1.31.5.

Again, I got a really good start for the third race. I managed to hold the lead until lap four, where Hipwell went under me at the Hairpin, taking advantage of his supersport 600 handling. I followed him and studied where I was stronger and on the last lap, I got the amazing drive out of the final corner and used the extra power of the ZX10 to pass him over the line – beating him by 0.014 of a second! I also broke the lap record again and got down to a 1.31.4. This is a really good race to watch and is available on the Thundersport iPlayer.


Cadwell Park was an amazing weekend for both me and my team. I won three GP1 wins on the trot – something I have never done before. I also extended my lead in both championships. The team did a mega job all weekend and as always I’d like to thank all of my sponsors!!

No comments:

Post a Comment