Wednesday 12 March 2014

Brands Hatch 7th-9th March 2014

Following a great week of testing out in Spain on board the ZX10 in January, I eagerly anticipated the first round of the season. I had no idea how I would perform or whether my shoulder injury would impede me, but I did know that I could not wait to get back out on track. It had been a long year and I was so excited to be racing once again.

The first sessions of the weekend are always part of a test day on the Friday. Since our return from Cartagena, I have learnt to really evaluate the track and my own actions when riding the bike. This influenced my decision to spend the day learning, rather than aimlessly trying to set the fastest time I possibly could. The bike actually felt pretty good from the word go, so I spent most of the day getting used to it and improving my lines. As we approached the last session of the day, we stuck a new set of tyres on and went out to put a few hard laps in. The bike felt brilliant and my times were good, so I was confident with myself and the team for the qualifying session.

The following day, we prepared for qualifying. I tried to get out first so I could get a clear track. My tyres were fresh, so I really wanted to set a good time. However, within a lap I came across a lot of traffic and I struggled to get a clear lap in. I then came into the pits in an attempt to find a bit of space. I went back out on track and got a slightly clearer lap, but not enough to set a faster time. I finished the session 6th fastest and would then start 6th on the grid for the first race.

Race one took place later that day. Admittedly, I got a really bad start and got boxed in going into Paddock Hill Bend. I had dropped back but by the end of the lap, I had climbed up to 8th position – I still had a lot of work to do! By half distance, I got up to 5th place but Murphy and Waghorn were seconds ahead of me. I got my head down and with three laps to go, I was on them. Straight away I made my move on Waghorn, going into Paddock Hill, but he quickly got me back going into Druids. The last lap flag was shown and I wasn’t close enough to make the same move again, so I had to come up with another plan. I focused on getting a good drive out of Clearways and immediately rode round the outside of him. I even managed to cut to the inside and pip Murphy to the line. I was over the moon to have finished 3rd overall in the GP1 race and 2nd in the Superstock class in my first proper race in over a year. Also, due to the mega laps system, I got the 4th fastest lap time. This meant that I would start Sunday’s races from 4th position on the grid.


We woke on Sunday morning to the most beautiful weather and the track temperature was up. I practiced my start at the end of morning warm-up and I am so glad that I did. As the second race commenced, I got a great start off the line. Being on the outside of the track made my run into turn one a whole lot easier and I was in third place going into Druids. The bike had developed a bit of chatter on the front end, so I didn’t have the confidence to attempt to keep up with Crowe and McNealy. On the 3rd lap, Crowe lost the front going into Paddock Hall Bend and unfortunately took a big tumble into the gravel. Luckily, he walked away but it did promote me into second place. Murphy hounded me all race but I managed to hold him off to the end. I came away with another great result; 2nd in both classes and crucially, more solid points.

Race three was the last race of the weekend. After talking to Alan, our team mechanic, we made some changes to the front end to hopefully get rid of the chatter I suffered from in race two. Again, I got a great start and I was third going into Paddock Hill, behind Murphy and McNealy. I got a good run up to Druids and managed to ride round the outside of Murphy. I had far more confidence in the front end, so I got my head down and tried to get onto the back of McNealy. I got within a quarter of a second of him but I couldn’t get quite close enough to make a move. Unfortunately, I struggled to chase him towards the end of the race, due to back markers, and he managed to pull a second away from me. McNealy won the race and I again came 2nd in both races.

I was extremely happy with how the weekend went. I left Brands Hatch confident with my results, as I am now second in both the GP1 and Superstock championships. If you would have told me at the start of the weekend how well I would do, I wouldn’t have believed you. I would just like to say a massive thank you to the whole a.l.joinery racing team for providing me with an amazing bike, excellent help and the whole opportunity. I would also like to thank all of my personal sponsors; Seadrift, FSC Engineering, QC Engineering & Design, DPC Distribution, Premier Helmets, Oaksmith Construction, Paintzfiction, ProBikeART and everyone else who has made this season possible!



Roll on Donnington Park next month!!

Thank you to Peter Wileman photography, Johny Wills and The Bike Insurer for the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment